Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Thumb Sucker #2

As most people know, Will has been a thumb sucker since the womb (in all of his ultrasound pics) and still sucks his thumb mostly at night or when he is getting tired during the day.  Lily never sucked her hands in the first few weeks of life so we assumed she would be a paci baby...until today.  While I was cleaning bottles, I heard a squeaking sucking noise behind me.  Low and behold, I turned around to see our sweet girl sucking away on that cute little thumb of hers.  She is still trying to learn where to put the rest of her fingers while sucking.  As of now she uses the open hand approach where her thumb is in her mouth and the rest of her hand is spread across her face, sometimes almost gouging her eyes out.  I figure if she scratches herself enough, she will eventually get the hang of it ;)  I have a feeling it won't be long until she figures it out.  I'm sure her big brother will show her the most effective and efficient way to suck her thumb in the near future.

And just as a side note, I understand most people frown upon the whole thumb sucking thing and it reminded me of a time when Will was a few months old and I was shopping in Alexandria and some stranger saw him sucking his thumb and decided she needed to tell me "He shouldn't be doing that.  You better get that thumb out of his mouth."  I remember thinking what I wanted to really tell her, but instead gave her a polite (and fake) laugh and went about my day.  As a mom, I think you need to pick your battles with your kids and there can be so much to worry and stress over.  To me, thumb sucking is not one of them.  If both my children are still sucking their thumbs as they drive away to college, I may start to worry, but other than that I think they'll survive ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment