Thursday, August 6, 2009

Third Time's a Charm!

At Will's 4 month checkup on Monday, August 3rd, the doctor said we could start him on some rice cereal. The news was music to my ears as Will was barely stretching time between meals to 2.5 hours. So, Ben and I of course got the video camera out and prepared our little man for his first big boy meal on Tuesday morning. As expected, things didn't go as planned. We thought he would take to the spoon feeding thing so easily, but as I put it in his mouth, he gagged, spit the food out, and began to throw a little fit. He was not having any of it. I tried again, and this time he wouldn't even open his mouth a little bit, so I put it on his lips, he licked it and once again cried his little eyes out. So as not to stress him out too much, we decided to stop forcing it and wait until the next morning.

Well Wednesday morning rolls around and we do everything again...video camera is out, cereal is mixed, Will is put in Bumbo, but no success. He hated it just as much as the first day.

Today, which is Thursday, I decided to try again, and while it didn't work this morning, I fed him a bowl at noon and he finally ate some. Of course it didn't go without a little fight from him. In order to get him to eat it, I had to put a little dab on my finger and he sucked on it. He then decided he wanted to suck his thumb, so I put a little on his thumb and he sucked it right up. Finally, I started putting the spoon by his mouth while his thumb was in there, and he did a combination of eating his thumb and the cereal at the same time. He whined a few times here and there, but at least ate most of his cereal. It was just so precious and I was so proud of him. My little boy is growing up so fast.



Day one: Getting prepped for his first meal


"Seriously, do I have to eat this?"


"I guess it's okay, but I'm not going to smile momma."


"How would you like it if I took a picture of you when you look like this?"


"Maybe if I suck my thumb, she won't stuff anymore of that 'food' in my mouth."

No comments:

Post a Comment